Prof. Dr. Lorenz M. Hilty
Dr. Lorenz Hilty is Professor of Informatics and Sustainability at the Department of Informatics of the University of Zurich and Senior Scientist at the Technology and Society Laboratory (TSL) of Empa. the Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Science and Technology. His cross-institutional research group for Informatics and Sustainability Research was established in 2010 to enable interdisciplinary cooperation between Empa and UZH. Since 2013, he is also Affiliated Professor at the Center for Sustainable Communications (CESC) and the School of Computer Science and Communication (CSC) of the Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm ( KTH). In 2014, Lorenz Hilty was elected the Sustainability Delegate of UZH.
ICT for Sustainability, Environmental Informatics, Green IT, Information Technology Assessment.
Information Systems, Informatics and Sustainable Development, Informatics and Ethics, Informatics and Society, Informatics for Business, Certificate of Advanced Studies (CAS) course: Green IT. View current courses at the group's teaching page.
- ICT4S: International Conference on Information and Communication Technology for Sustainability
- EnviroInfo: International Conference on Informatics for Environmental Protection
- WRF: World Resources Forum
- Environmental Modelling and Software
- Environmental Impact Assessment Review
- Journal of Information Technology Research
- Board Member, Environmental Informatics Technical Committee of Gesellschaft für Informatik
- Jury President, Environmental Informatics Students' Prize
Lorenz Hilty received his PhD in Informatics from the University of Hamburg in 1991, where he worked with the Department of Informatics and co-founded the spin-off company ifu Hamburg GmbH. He was a postdoc researcher at IWÖ St.Gallen, project leader at the Research Institute of Applied Knowledge Processing FAW Ulm, and since 1998 Professor of Information Systems (Wirtschaftsinformatik) at FHNW. Since 2000, he has held several positions at Empa, the Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Science and Technology: After initiating and leading the "Sustainability in the Information Society" research program funded by the ETH board, he built up the Technology and Society Lab TSL, which he headed until 2011.
In parallel to his work at Empa, he was lecturer at the Universities of Basel and St.Gallen, guest lecturer at MIT's Program on Emerging Technologies PoET and in 2008 guest professor of "Sustainability and New Media" at the Institute of Social Ecology in Vienna.
In 2010 Lorenz Hilty was called to the chair of Informatics and Sustainabilty at the Department of Informatics of the University of Zurich.
In 2013, he was appointed Affiliated Professor at the Center for Sustainable Communications (CESC) and the School of Computer Science and Communication (CSC) at the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm (KTH).
- Full publications list and files for download at publicationslist.org
- Lorenz Hilty at Google Scholar, academia.edu, ResearchGate, LinkedIn, XING