Prof. Dr. Lorenz M. Hilty
Lorenz Hilty is professor of Informatics and Sustainability at the Department of Informatics of the University of Zurich and Senior Scientist at the Technology and Society Laboratory (TSL) of Empa, the Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Science and Technology. His cross-institutional research group for Informatics and Sustainability Research (ISR) was established in 2010 to enable interdisciplinary cooperation between Empa and UZH. Since 2013, he is also Affiliated Professor at the Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm ( KTH). Since 2014, Lorenz Hilty is serving as the Sustainability Delegate of the Executive Bord of UZH.
View current research projects on the group's research page.
View current courses on the group's teaching page (in German).
- ICT4S: International Conference on Information and Communication Technology for Sustainability
- EnviroInfo: International Conference on Informatics for Environmental Protection
- WRF: World Resources Forum
- Editorial Board Member, Environmental Modelling and Software
- Board Member, Environmental Informatics Technical Committee of Gesellschaft für Informatik
- Jury President, Environmental Informatics Students' Prize
Lorenz Hilty, Swiss citizen, was born in St.Gallen, Switzerland, in 1959. After earning his PhD in Informatics from the University of Hamburg in 1991, he worked with the Department of Informatics and co-founded the university spin-off ifu Hamburg GmbH. He later worked as a postdoc researcher at IWÖ-HSG in St.Gallen, project leader at the Research Institute of Applied Knowledge Processing FAW Ulm, and Professor of Information Systems at FHNW.
Since 2000, Lorenz Hilty has held several positions at Empa, the Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Science and Technology: After initiating and leading the Sustainability in the Information Society SIS research program funded by the ETH board, he built up the Technology and Society Lab TSL, which he headed until 2011.
In parallel to his work at Empa, he was lecturer at the Universities of Basel and St.Gallen, guest lecturer at MIT's Program on Emerging Technologies PoET and in 2008 guest professor of "Sustainability and New Media" at the Institute of Social Ecology in Vienna.
In 2010, he was called to the chair of Informatics and Sustainabilty at the Department of Informatics IfI of the University of Zurich. The Center for Sustainable Communications (CESC) at the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm (KTH) appointed him Affiliated Professor in 2013. Since 2014, he is also serving as the Sustainability Delegate of UZH.
- Complete publications list with full texts for download at publicationslist.org
- Lorenz Hilty at Google Scholar, ResearchGate, academia.edu, LinkedIn, XING