In 2013, I received my Bachelor Degree (summa cum laude) from the University of Sannio (Italy) with the thesis entitled "Mining of Methods' Descriptions from StackOverflow", where I developed CODES, an Eclipse plugin that automatically extracts methods' descriptions of Java Systems from discussions in StackOverflow. In 2014 CODES was awarded with the Best Tool Award at the 22nd IEEE International Conference on Program Comprehension (ICPC), in India.
In 2015 I stayed for four months in Amsterdam (Nederland) to do an internship at ING NEDERLAND. I conducted a research work inside the Continuous Delivery team (partially funded by ERASMUS+ program). Main Task: investigation of the practices adopted by DevOps teams during the software development and discovering of new ways to improve the software release process.
In 2016, I received my Master Degree (summa cum laude) from the University of Sannio (Italy) with the thesis entitled "Build Failures in Continuous Delivery: a Case Study at ING Nederland".
Continuous Delivery (CD) has been introduced by the Agile movement to favor frequent integration and delivery of new (incremental) versions of software systems. In this context, each update go through a CD pipeline with the aim of detecting defects as early as possible, reducing the cost and risk of delivering bad changes.
I'm interested in supporting developers while dealing with CD breaks (e.g., build failures) and developing new approaches to prevent them.
- [NEW] Carmine Vassallo, Sebastian Proksch, Timothy Zemp, Harald Gall, Un-Break My Build: Assisting Developers with Build Repair Hints. In Proceedings of 26th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Program Comprehension (ICPC), Gothenburg, Sweden, 2018.
- Carmine Vassallo, Sebastiano Panichella, Fabio Palomba, Sebastian Proksch, Andy Zaidman, Harald Gall, Context Is King: The Developer Perspective on the Usage of Static Analysis Tools. In Proceedings of 25th IEEE International Conference on Software Analysis, Evolution and Reengineering (SANER), Campobasso, Italy, 2018. [Preprint pdf] [Presentation pdf]
- Carmine Vassallo, Gerald Schermann, Fiorella Zampetti, Daniele Romano, Philipp Leitner, Andy Zaidman, Massimiliano Di Penta, and Sebastiano Panichella, A Tale of CI Build Failures: an Open Source and a Financial Organisation Perspective. In Proceedings of the 33rd International Conference on Software Maintenance and Evolution (ICSME), Shanghai, China, 2017. [Preprint pdf] [Presentation pdf]
- Carmine Vassallo, Fiorella Zampetti, Daniele Romano, Moritz Beller, Annibale Panichella, Massimiliano Di Penta, Andy Zaidman, Continuous Delivery Practice in a Large Financial Organisation. International Conference on Software Maintenance and Evolution (ICSME), Raleigh (NC, USA), September, 2016. [Preprint pdf]
- Carmine Vassallo, Sebastiano Panichella, Massimiliano Di Penta, and Gerardo Canfora, CODES: mining source code descriptions from developers discussions. The 22nd International Conference on Program Comprehension (ICPC), Hyderabad (India), June 2014. [pdf] [video]
If you are interested in Continuous Integration/Delivery and generally in Agile Practices, contact me or pass by my office.
- Antonio Galluccio (Bachelor Thesis, finished) - TestDescriber: toward improving automated test case generation (together with Prof. Harald Gall and Sebastiano Panichella)
- Timothy Zemp (Bachelor Thesis, finished) - Bart: A tool for supporting DevOps during CD breaks (together with Prof. Harald Gall)
- Nicolas Gordillo (MBM, in progress) - ContiNo (together with Prof. Harald Gall and Sebastian Proksch )