Ph.D. position in Software Engineering
The software evolution and architecture lab (s.e.a.l.) of the Department of Informatics (IfI) at the University of Zurich (UZH), Switzerland, is inviting applications for a full-time Ph.D. researcher position.
You will work on high-impact research projects in the domain of software engineering, spanning a broad variety of topics. The group's research focuses on software evolution, software architecture, software quality analysis, mining software repositories, and cloud-based software engineering. Topics include AI and machine learning for software engineering, search-based software engineering, software engineering processes (DevOps, CI/CD), and large-scale mining of software archives to foster developer productivity.
s.e.a.l. is part of the Software Systems group at UZH, which is a consortium of three professors (Gall, Fritz, Bacchelli), and currently has 4 postdocs and 8 Ph.D. students. We have a track record of substantial impact at international prime venues and are well funded, both on the national and European level. We collaborate closely with more than 20 industrial partners to carry out and evaluate our research projects, including Microsoft, Logitech, ABB, Salesforce, and adesso, as well as with university researchers around the globe, including Canada, USA, and New Zealand. We publish our research in the top international journals and conferences in the fields of Software Engineering.
- 🤝 a team of young and highly motivated colleagues who are passionate about improving developer productivity and how software engineers and companies develop the systems that run our society;
- 💼 strong support for your professional/career development;
- 💰 a very competitive salary;
- ✈️ generous support for professional travel and research needs;
- 🏙️ an attractive work environment both within the research group and beyond: the University of Zurich is one of Switzerland's leading universities in the middle of a vibrant, cosmopolitan city that regularly ranks as one of the cities with the highest quality of life in the world.
- 🎓 a Master's degree, or close to defending your Master's thesis, in Computer Science or a related field;
- ➰ an interest in understanding and improving software engineering practices and developers' work life;
- 💻 strong analytical skills and experience in developing software (prior knowledge in data science, qualitative research, or empirical software engineering is helpful but not required);
- 💬 excellent communication skills in English (German speaking skills are welcome but not necessary). English is the working and teaching language in our department. Also, in your day-to-day life in Switzerland and especially in Zurich, you will get by well in English.
If you fit this profile, like challenging tasks, and are passionate about research, then we would love to hear from you.
To submit your application for the position, go to application form. We consider applications until all positions are filled. The starting date is negotiable. If you have further questions, please contact us at Dr. Pasquale Salza.