- Röseler L, Scholtes I, Sendhoff B, Hannák A. Willing to Revise? Confidence and Recommendation Adoption in AI-Assisted Image Recognition. Forthcoming in Proceedings of the First International Conference on Hybrid Human-Artificial Intelligence (HHAI2022). Frontiers in AI. 2022
- Ionescu S, Pagan N, Hannak A. Individual Fairness for Social Media Influencers. Forthcoming in 11th International Conference on Complex Networks and their Applications 2022.
- Joseph K, Chen HY, Ionescu S, Du Y, Sankhe P, Hannak A, Rudra A. A qualitative, network-centric method for modeling socio-technical systems, with applications to evaluating interventions on social media platforms to increase social equality. Applied Network Science. 2022 Dec;7(1):1-27.
- Du Y, Ionescu S, Sage M, Joseph K. A Data-Driven Simulation of the New York State Foster Care System. In 2022 ACM Conference on Fairness, Accountability, and Transparency 2022 Jun 21 (pp. 1028-1038).
- Baumann J, Hannák A, Heitz C. Enforcing Group Fairness in Algorithmic Decision Making: Utility Maximization Under Sufficiency. Proceedings of the 2022 ACM Conference on Fairness, Accountability, and Transparency
- Sipka A, Hannak A, Urman A. Comparing the Language of QAnon-related content on Parler, Gab, and Twitter. In 14th ACM Web Science Conference 2022 2022 Jun 26 (pp. 411-421).
- Zaman S, Hertweck C. Methods for uncovering discourses that shape the urban imaginary in Helsinki's smart city. Frontiers in Sustainable Cities. 2022 Feb 28.
- Hertweck C, Räz T. Gradual (In) Compatibility of Fairness Criteria. In AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence 2022.
- Vigano E, Hertweck C, Heitz C, Loi M. People are not coins. Morally distinct types of predictions necessitate different fairness constraint. In Proceedings of the 2022 ACM Conference on Fairness, Accountability, and Transparency (2022)
- Urman A, Ionescu S, Garcia D, Hannák A. The politicization of medical preprints on Twitter during the early stages of COVID-19 pandemic. Journal of Quantitative Description: Digital Media. 2022 Feb 8;2
- Urman A, Makhortykh M, Ulloa R, Kulshrestha J. Where the Earth is flat and 9/11 is an inside job: A comparative algorithm audit of conspiratorial information in web search results. Telematics and Informatics. 2022 Aug 1;72:101860.
- Ulloa R, Richter AC, Makhortykh M, Urman A, Kacperski CS. Representativeness and face-ism: Gender bias in image search. New Media & Society. 2022 Jun 19:14614448221100699.
- Urman A, Makhortykh M. “Foreign beauties want to meet you”: The sexualization of women in Google’s organic and sponsored text search results. New Media & Society. 2022 Jun 7:14614448221099536.
- Urman A, Katz S. Online publicity and outcomes of individual politically salient criminal cases in an authoritarian regime: evidence from Russia. Political Research Exchange. 2022 Dec 31;4(1):2095920.
- Urman A, Makhortykh M, Ulloa R. Auditing the representation of migrants in image web search results. Humanities and Social Sciences Communications. 2022 Apr 13;9(1):1-6.
- Ulloa R, Makhortykh M, Urman A. Scaling up search engine audits: practical insights for algorithm auditing. Journal of Information Science. 2022 May 2:01655515221093029.
- de León E, Makhortykh M, Gil-Lopez T, Urman A, Adam S. News, Threats, and Trust: How COVID-19 News Shaped Political Trust, and How Threat Perceptions Conditioned This Relationship. The International Journal of Press/Politics. 2022 Apr 13:19401612221087179.
- Makhortykh M, Urman A, Münch FV, Heldt A, Dreyer S, Kettemann MC. Not all who are bots are evil: A cross-platform analysis of automated agent governance. New Media & Society. 2022 Apr;24(4):964-81.
- Boeker M, Urman A. An Empirical Investigation of Personalization Factors on TikTok. In Proceedings of the ACM Web Conference 2022 2022 Apr 25 (pp. 2298-2309).
- Makhortykh M, Urman A, Ulloa R. How search engines disseminate information about COVID-19 and why they should do better. The Harvard Kennedy School Misinformation Review
- Pagan N, Mei W, Li C, Dörfler F. A meritocratic network formation model for the rise of social media influencers. Nature Communications. 2021 Nov 30;12(1):1-2.
- Ionescu S, Hannák A, Joseph K. An Agent-based Model to Evaluate Interventions on Online Dating Platforms to Decrease Racial Homogamy. In Proceedings of the 2021 ACM Conference on Fairness, Accountability, and Transparency 2021 Mar 3 (pp. 412-423).
- Wehrli S, Hertweck C, Amirian M, Glüge S, Stadelmann T. Bias, awareness, and ignorance in deep-learning-based face recognition. AI and Ethics. 2021 Oct 27:1-4.
- Hertweck C, Heitz C. A Systematic Approach to Group Fairness in Automated Decision Making. In2021 8th Swiss Conference on Data Science (SDS) 2021 Jun 9 (pp. 1-6). IEEE.
- Hertweck C, Heitz C, Loi M. On the moral justification of statistical parity. In Proceedings of the 2021 ACM Conference on Fairness, Accountability, and Transparency 2021 Mar 3 (pp. 747-757).
- Urman A, Ho JC, Katz S. Analyzing protest mobilization on telegram: The case of 2019 anti-extradition bill movement in Hong Kong. Plos one. 2021 Oct 8;16(10):e0256675.
- Makhortykh M, Urman A, Gil-Lopez T, Ulloa R. To track or not to track: examining perceptions of online tracking for information behavior research. Internet research. 2021 Dec 3.
- Lőrincz L, Chihaya GK, Hannák A, Takács D, Lengyel B, Eriksson R. Global connections and the structure of skills in local co-worker networks. Applied Network Science. 2020 Dec;5(1):1-20.
- Bokányi E, Hannák A. Understanding inequalities in ride-hailing services through simulations. Scientific reports. 2020 Apr 16;10(1):1-1.