Dan Olteanu wins Test of Time Award
The International Conference on Database Theory (ICDT) presented the Test of Time Award 2022 to Dan Olteanu. The award recognizes the paper «Factorized Representations of Query Results: Size Bounds and Readability» by Dan Olteanu and Jakob Závodný. Congratulations!
The paper «Factorized Representations of Query Results: Size Bounds and Readability» has best met the «test of time» and had the highest impact in terms of research, methodology, conceptual contribution, or transfer to practice over the past decade.
This paper introduces the fundamental concept of factorized databases. Such factorized databases give a proper balance between succinctness of the data representation and efficiency of subsequent precessing. Several contributions in terms of mathematical characterizations, algorithmic techniques, and computational complexity are presented. The paper initiated a new line of research and had a significant impact in the field of data management: In particular on graph database systems, representation and enumeration of answers to database queries and of their provenance, low computational complexity for answering quantitative queries, and training machine learning models over large databases.
This work also laid the foundations for Olteanu's Google Faculty Award 2014 and his ERC Consolidator Grant 2015.
- Two-year project "Government as a Platform" receives DIZH funding and opens two PhD positions
- A new testing facility at Dübendorf Airport for drones
- In den Medien: So verändert ChatGPT die Bildungs- und Berufswelt
- In the media: Ethical issues with AI
- Best Paper Award for Liudmila Zavolokina, Kilian Sprenkamp and Birgit Schenk
- In the media: Robotics stories
- SNF Sinergia grant for Abraham Bernstein
- In the media: Autonomous drones
- UZH: Europe's best University in Blockchain (3rd worldwide)
- Burkhard Stiller receives LCN Lifetime Achievement Award
- Inaugural lecture by Alberto Bacchelli
- Study on digital products and climate protection
- Burkhard Stiller appointed new Director of the Department of Informatics IfI
- GoodBrother International Conference on Privacy-friendly and Trustworthy Technology for Society
- Georges Giralt PhD Award for Antonio Loquercio
- DIZH Rapid Action Grant for Gerhard Schwabe and Liudmila Zavolokina
- Congratulations for the Semester Award HS21
- In memoriam: Honorary Doctor Prof. Gordon B. Davis
- Informatiktage 2022
- Replicability Stamp Award
- International Day of Women and Girls in Science
- DIZH Rapid Action Grant for André Meyer
- In the media: The event camera
- Informationskrise und Pandemie