Burkhard Stiller appointed new Director of the Department of Informatics IfI
The University of Zurich UZH has appointed Prof. Dr. Burkhard Stiller as new Director of the Department of Informatics IfI as of August 1, 2022. Building on previous processes and work laid out by his predecessor Prof. Dr. Renato Pajarola, he will continue guiding IfI through these complex times.
Burkhard is a full professor of «Distributed Systems and Networks» at the University of Zurich UZH since 2004. After receiving his Dr.rer.-nat. (PhD) degree in Computer Science from the University of Karlsruhe, Germany, in 1994, he worked at the University of Cambridge, U.K., ETH Zürich, Switzerland, and University of Federal Armed Forces Munich, Germany. At UZH he is leading the Communication Systems Group CSG with its main research interests in fully decentralized control (blockchains, clouds, peer-to-peer), network and service management (economic management), Internet-of-Things (security of constrained devices), and telecommunication economics (charting and accounting).
In addition to his full professorship position at IfI, Burkhard is a member of the UZH Blockchain Center's Steering Committee, the IFIP TC 6 chair on «Communication Systems», a member of the Luxembourg Science Foundation's (FNR) Scientific Council, and among others a member of the editorial board of the IEEE Transaction on Network and Service Management (TNSM), Springer's Journal of Network and Service Management (JONS), and the KICS Journal of Communications and Network (JCN). Furthermore, he has actively been promoting Informatics in Zürich and Switzerland, being involved in events like the Swiss Digital Days or the Scientifica.
After four years as the director of the IfI (2018–2022) Renato has decided to step down and to focus on his full professorship at IfI. The IfI would like to thank Renato sincerely for his commitment – specifically for his leadership during these challenging times of the Coronavirus and pandemic – and extends the best wishes to Renato for his continued success in his research field of visualizations and computer graphics.
- Two-year project "Government as a Platform" receives DIZH funding and opens two PhD positions
- A new testing facility at Dübendorf Airport for drones
- In den Medien: So verändert ChatGPT die Bildungs- und Berufswelt
- In the media: Ethical issues with AI
- Best Paper Award for Liudmila Zavolokina, Kilian Sprenkamp and Birgit Schenk
- In the media: Robotics stories
- SNF Sinergia grant for Abraham Bernstein
- In the media: Autonomous drones
- UZH: Europe's best University in Blockchain (3rd worldwide)
- Burkhard Stiller receives LCN Lifetime Achievement Award
- Inaugural lecture by Alberto Bacchelli
- Study on digital products and climate protection
- GoodBrother International Conference on Privacy-friendly and Trustworthy Technology for Society
- Georges Giralt PhD Award for Antonio Loquercio
- DIZH Rapid Action Grant for Gerhard Schwabe and Liudmila Zavolokina
- Congratulations for the Semester Award HS21
- In memoriam: Honorary Doctor Prof. Gordon B. Davis
- Dan Olteanu wins Test of Time Award
- Informatiktage 2022
- Replicability Stamp Award
- International Day of Women and Girls in Science
- DIZH Rapid Action Grant for André Meyer
- In the media: The event camera
- Informationskrise und Pandemie