In cooperation with the Swiss software company AdNovum, the Lucerne School of Information Technology, AMAG, AXA, Mobility and the Aargau Road Traffic Authority, we develop the cardossier, a blockchain-based digital dossier where all data from a vehicle’s life cycle can be stored transparently and securely. The information can be accessed and used by different stakeholders. This includes, among others, car manufacturers, parts suppliers, insurance companies, importers, garages, used-car dealers and portals, vehicle evaluators, road traffic administrators, fleet managers, private buyers, sellers and renters, car rental companies and car recyclers.
The cardossier is implemented on the basis of a blockchain with a community approach in combination with smart contracts. This technology was chosen because it is able to establish the necessary trust among the different stakeholders through transparency, immutability and decentralized operation. The processing and administration of all information in the dossier is carried out in compliance with data protection regulations and other regulatory requirements.
The project is co-financed by the Federal Commission for Technology and Innovation (CTI). As a first use case, the project focuses on the change of ownership in the Swiss used-car market. The main goal is to increase trust, transparency and the efficiency of transactions by using blockchain technology. The project will also provide insights into the business, organizational, technical and regulatory implications and opportunities of introducing a blockchain into this type of ecosystem.
See Media Coverage
- Rafael Ziolkowski, Gianluca Miscione and Gerhard Schwabe, 2018 Consensus through Blockchains: Exploring Governance across interorganizational Settings International Conference of Information Systems (ICIS 2018) San Francisco, USA
- Liudmila Zavolokina, Gianluca Miscione and Gerhard Schwabe, 2019 Buyers of Lemons: Addressing Buyers’ Needs in the Market for Lemons with Blockchain Technology 52nd Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS 2019) Maui, Hawaii
- Ingrid Bauer, Liudmila Zavolokina, Fabian Leisibach and Gerhard Schwabe, 2019 Exploring Blockchain Value Creation: The Case of the Car Ecosystem 52nd Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS) Maui, Hawaii
- Luis Oliveira, Liudmila Zavolokina, Ingrid Bauer and Gerhard Schwabe, 2018 To Token or not to Token: Tools for Understanding Blockchain Tokens International Conference of Information Systems (ICIS 2018) San Francisco, USA 2018-12-12 San Francisco, USA
- Liudmila Zavolokina, Florian Spychiger, Claudio Tessone and Gerhard Schwabe, 2018 Incentivizing Data Quality in Blockchains for Inter-Organizational Networks – Learning from the Digital Car Dossier International Conference of Information Systems (ICIS 2018) San Francisco, USA