Head of Group
Telephone: +41 44 635 67 24 or +41 58 765 75 00
Fax: +41 44 635 68 09
Lorenz Hilty is Professor of Informatics and Sustainability at the Department of Informatics of the University of Zurich and head of the Informatics and Sustainability Research (ISR) group. The ISR group is shared between Empa and the Faculty of Economics and was established in 2010 to enable interdisciplinary cooperation between the two institutions. Since 2013, Lorenz Hilty is also Affiliated Professor at the Center for Sustainable Communications (CESC) and the School of Computer Science and Communication of KTH.
Access more than 100 publications by Lorenz Hilty at publicationslist.org
Lorenz Hilty has been doing research in the overlap between Informatics/Computer Science and Environment/Sustainable Development since the the early 1990s. His current focus includes methods of modelling and simulation, applications of ICT for sustainability (ICT4S), Green ICT, life-cycle assessment (LCA) and Technology Assessment (TA) in the field of ICT.
View current courses and theses at the group's teaching page.
- General Chair ICT4S 2013, First International Conference ICT for Sustainability
- Scientific Committee Member World Resources Forum, 2011, 2013
- Scientific Committee Chair First World Resources Forum, 2009
- General Chair 15th International Conference Informatics for Environmental Protection 2001
- Green IT Science Forum Wissenschaftsforum Green IT
- Editorial Board Member Environmental Modelling and Software
- Editorial Board Member International Journal of Social and Humanistic Computing
- Editorial Board Member Journal of Information Technology Research
- Advisor to the OECD on ICTs, the Environment and Climate Change
- Jury President and Founder Environmental Informatics Students' Prize
- Jury Member Green IT Innovation Award (öbu)
- Swiss Academy of Engineering Sciences (SATW) Themenplattform Ethik
- Former Board Member Swiss Informatics Society SI
- Former Board Member ecoinvent centre
- Past Chair IFIP Working Group 9.9 ICT and Sustainable Development
- Past President Environmental Informatics Technical Committee of GI
- Past President Special Interest Group Informatics and Society of SI
Lorenz Hilty received his PhD in Informatics from the University of Hamburg in 1991, where he worked with the Department of Informatics and co-founded the spin-off company ifu Hamburg GmbH. He was a postdoc researcher at IWÖ St.Gallen, project leader at the Research Institute of Applied Knowledge Processing FAW Ulm, and since 1998 Professor of Information Systems (Wirtschaftsinoformatik) at FHNW. Since 2000, he has held several positions at Empa, the Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Science and Technology: After initiating and leading the "Sustainability in the Information Society" research program funded by the ETH board, he built up the Technology and Society Lab TSL. In parallel to his work at Empa, he was lecturer at the Universities of Basel, St.Gallen, and Zurich, guest lecturer at MIT's Program on Emerging Technologies PoET and in 2008 guest professor of "Sustainability and New Media" at the Institute of Social Ecology in Vienna. In 2010 he was called to the chair of Informatics and Sustainabilty at the Department of Informatics of the University of Zurich. In 2013, he was appointed Affiliated Professor at the Center for Sustainable Communications (CESC) and the School of Computer Science and Communication of KTH.