I am currently a Senior Research Associate at the Software Architecture and Evolution Lab in the University of Zurich. I hold a PhD degree from Vienna University of Technology (in business informatics, focussing on cost-aware service composition), and lead a team of 7 working to understand how and why software developers use cloud systems, and to support them with better methods, techniques, and tools for cloud development, deployment and debugging. I have published upwards of 75 peer-reviewed publications, leading to an h-index of 24 as tracked by Google Scholar.
- [04.05.2017] I am hiring! If you are interested in doing a PhD, please consider my open position. Note that this requires moving to Gothenburg, Sweden!
- [26.04.2017] I have accepted an offer as assistant professor at Chalmers in Gothenburg! I will be joining the Software Engineering division at Chalmers in August.
- [26.04.2017] Our paper on the algorithmic extraction of microservice candidates from a monolith codebase was accepted for the Applications track at ICWS.
- [16.03.2017] Two papers accepted at MSR: one is joint work with colleagues at TU Wien and is about CI build failures in Java-based open source, the other is joint work with my PhD students and IBM Research and investigates the current state of the Docker ecosystem.
- [16.03.2017] I will be giving an invited talk about performance testing and benchmarking in public clouds at the LTB workshop at ICPE. You should come say hi.
- [21.01.2017] Two new papers accepted: joint work with IBM Research led to a contribution to ICSE SEIP, and a paper based on the master's thesis of Christian Davatz was accepted at the CCGrid conference.
Research and Publications
If you are interested in my core research and publications, please go here.
- Thomas Rausch, Waldemar Hummer, Philipp Leitner and Stefan Schulte
(2017). An Empirical Analysis of Build Failures in the Continuous Integration Workflows of Java-Based Open-Source Software. In Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Mining Software Repositories (MSR)
- Jürgen Cito, Gerald Schermann, Erik Wittern, Philipp Leitner, Sali Zumberi and Harald Gall (2017). An Empirical Analysis of the Docker Container Ecosystem on GitHub. In Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Mining Software Repositories (MSR)
- Christian Davatz, Christian Inzinger, Joel Scheuner, Philipp Leitner (2017). An Approach and Case Study of Cloud Instance Type Selection for Multi-Tier Web Applications. In Proceedings of the 17th IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud and Grid Computing (CCGrid)
- Jürgen Cito, Faìbio Oliveira, Philipp Leitner, Priya Nagpurkar, Harald Gall (2017). Context-Based Analytics – Establishing Explicit Links between Runtime Traces and Source Code. In Proceedings of the 38th International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE'17) - Software Engineering in Practice (SEIP) Track
Open Bachelor and Master's Theses
I advise theses in the area of engineering cloud computing and elastic systems. Check here for details. Drop me a line if you are interested in learning more about this.