I am currently a Senior Research Associate at the Software Architecture and Evolution Lab in the University of Zurich. I hold a PhD degree from Vienna University of Technology (in business informatics, focussing on cost-aware service composition), and lead a team of 7 working to understand how and why software developers use cloud systems, and to support them with better methods, techniques, and tools for cloud development, deployment and debugging. I have published upwards of 75 peer-reviewed publications, leading to an h-index of 22 as tracked by Google Scholar.
- [20.11.2016] Our paper on the state of performance testing in Java-based OSS was accepted at ICPE'17. Find the preprint on PeerJ and the online appendix on GitHub.
- [11.11.2016] I am very excited to be one of this year's PC co-chairs of the QUDOS workshop on quality-aware DevOps!
- [21.6.2016] I will be co-editing a special issue for IEEE Cloud Computing on "Connecting Fog and Cloud", with a targeted publication date of March/April 2017. The submission deadline for special issue papers will be beginning of October.
- [18.5.2016] We received the best short paper award at ICPC'16 for our paper "Towards Quality Gates in Continuous Delivery and Deployment".
- [29.3.2016] SNF has accepted my project "MINCA - Models to Increase the Cost Awareness of Cloud Developers" for funding!
Research and Publications
If you are interested in my core research and publications, please go here.
- Philipp Leitner, Cor-Paul Bezemer (2017). An Exploratory Study of the State of Practice of Performance Testing in Java-Based Open Source Projects. In Proceedings of the 7th ACM/SPEC International Conference on Performance Engineering (ICPE)
- Gerald Schermann, Dominik Schöni, Philipp Leitner, Harald C. Gall (2016). Bifrost - Supporting Continuous Deployment with Automated Enactment of Multi-Phase Live Testing Strategies. In Proceedings of the 2016 ACM/IFIP/USENIX Middleware Conference, (pdf)
- Philipp Leitner, Jürgen Cito, Emanuel Stöckli (2016). Modelling and Managing Deployment Costs of Microservice-Based Cloud Applications. In Proceedings of the 9th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Utility and Cloud Computing (UCC), (pdf)
Open Bachelor and Master's Theses
I advise theses in the area of engineering cloud computing and elastic systems. Check here for details. Drop me a line if you are interested in learning more about this.